A size doesn’t fit all, neither does a treatment suit everyone! Of course, since the 1930s, all we have known is the classic 12-step approach. Developed by the Alcohol Anonymous or the AA, it is a 12-step support group and seems to be incorporated in many of the rehab programs.
For as long as we can remember, we have known AA. With the mission to provide free help to the addicts who are willing to let go of their addiction or use of substance, AA has been there to provide support anonymously.
While some addicts realize as to how bad the addiction is for them, most are probably there on court’s order. That’s how important it is deemed in the society.
But what if you are one of the people who are not exactly the spiritual kinds or someone who doesn’t exactly feel the 12-step approach, what do you do?
Don’t stress! There are other ways for people just like you.
Although the 12-step approach is open for everyone, it doesn’t exactly work for every person. That is what non-12-step rehabs centers are for. They are rehabs with a rather secular approach so that people who are atheists, antagonist or simply that one that aren’t exactly the religious kind can comfortably start their way to quitting the fatal habit.
So What Exactly Are Non 12 Step Rehab Centers?
It basically the same thing as the 12-step rehab, but the approach is very different. Where the 12-step approach relies heavily on a higher and superior power, the non 12 step rehab centers rely more on your own-self.
Meaning that they are not dependent on some kind of superior entity but themselves. It develops a stronger sense of self-empowerment and none of these programs label addiction as a “disease”
Some of the Things That Non 12 Step Rehab Centers Have
While the ultimate goal is to help you recover from the addiction, there are some major differences between a traditional 12-step approach and a snon-12-step model. Here some of the differences that non-12-step rehabs have that the 12-step rehabs may not because of their different orientation and focus.
- Detoxification from drugs medically supervised for both inpatients and outpatients.
- Using medication therapies to get rid or minimize the cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- The dual diagnosis treatment for patients who have substance addiction and mental disorder.
- Therapies like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), the rational emotive behavioral therapy (REBT) and many other proved therapies used in individual counselling.
- Collective counseling sessions for families, couples or partners.
- And finally, participation in support groups based on non-12-step approach like SOS, SMART, Lifelong Secular Recovery, etc.
What Should You Choose Non 12 Step Rehab Centers?
Not all people function work the same way. What works for one may kill the other. You may not be one of the people for whom the 12-step model works like miracle. If you are not sure, look at the following. Non-12-step model should be your preference if:
- You are not exactly the religious type. You object, don’t feel comfortable with or object to the existence and relying on a superior entity. Then in that case the spiritual orientation of the AA group may not be the thing you need and would probably prefer something secular.
- You don’t believe that addiction can be overcome for good and is not in fact a disease that you have to live with the rest of your life.
It is your choice, which ever method of treatment speak to you. And you shouldn’t opt for a method that contradicts your beliefs or makes you uncomfortable. It is important that you know that you have more than just one option.
Strategies Employed in a Secular Rehab
The strategies and ways of approaching addiction are different for both kinds of rehabs. The secular rehab programs tend to nudge the addicts more towards empowering them. They are urged to create sober and healthy lives for themselves. The therapies employed in such a rehab are mostly based along the lines of CBT or cognitive behavioral therapy. CBT focuses on the patterns and the behaviors that lead the person to use the substance even after knowing the awful consequences of the action and aims to modify them so that the addict can develop restraint.
Instead of pushing and urging the people to develop faith and trust into some other entity and surrendering their own wills to it, these non-12-step rehab programs encourage the addicts to take responsibility on their own. They teach the people how to cope with the addictive behavior once it starts to make its way again and how to avoid falling off the wagon.
This way the addicts can learn to rely on themselves and not something that is supernatural and external. This self-empowers them and creates confidence in them to deal with the situations that usually tend to drag them back to the substance like loss, grief, pain, depression, etc.
Addition is NOT a Life-Long Disease: CBT
While this is very much a popular believe, but there has been seen some opposition to the idea that addiction is about chemical dependency. In fact, more and more experts believe that it is more of a learned behavior and can be changed the same way that it was learned.
Following are the major focus points of the CBT:
- Coping Skills: this helps them deal with situations that trigger the craving such as stress or anxiety
- Craving: they are taught to handle cravings through remembering bad experiences
- Emotional Responses: clients are taught to deal with intense emotions like anger that can also serve as triggers.
- Negative Thought Pattern: clients are taught to divert their thinking patterns towards positivity.
One of the Best Non 12 Step Rehab Centers: Sage Recovery Villa
Learn to depend on no one but yourself at sage recovery villa, where they have the best of the best therapists and professional staff for you that help you not only quit the habit but also teach you to avoid relapse.
Call in today!