The main objective of using a Caravan steps is to move around in and out of your Caravan in a seamless way. Caravan space needs to be elder and children friendly environment. Otherwise, they may get hurt easily. It is not a concern anymore if you have the essential tools in place and walk in and out of the caravan effortlessly as easy as a cake walk.
Why we need to use a folding step?
Usually, during outdoor outings only we prefer to use these types of caravan steps, as the surface of the ground will not be in level as in the city limits. For E.g. Hillside camping, beach camping area with solid rocks or wet grounds in winter seasons. Thus, to prevent from slipping, we need a sturdy base to step.
Who needs them?
Typically, older adults and children who are prone to fall more due to their ageing factor and kid’s playful nature, require these caravan steps. People with past injuries or any medical condition can also benefit from these steps. Of course, the healthy individuals can also use it for preventing any fall injury. As in vacation time, we do not want to end up visiting a hospital.
Types of Steps available
Foldable steps are popular and widely used among its counterparts.
- Single step
The main advantage of using a single step caravan is its lightweight and portable, with a greater step up. It can easily be stored inside of the caravan without occupying much space, due to its compact size. The Caravan underneath can also hold the single step.
There are also some of the disadvantages like a small base area makes it extra cautious while using it and it also gives more strains to the knees. This one is not apt for the elderly adult, and it is less stable in use.
- Double step
Un-foldable double step though offers a broader base area. It cannot be placed under the caravan. It is mostly set near a caravan, and if the car drives close to the caravan, chances are it may run over these double steps as the steps generally are not visible through car mirrors. It has happened to users, it may sound trivial, but addressing these concerns is essential
- Foldable steps
The foldable double step is gaining popularity ever since it came onto the market. There are several advantages of using these larger base double steps. One of them is, as it has a foldable feature it is portable and easy to use.
- Three tier Step
Three tier foldable steps are also widely used for motorhomes and caravans. Simple foldable feature makes it easy to maintain, suitable for static and touring caravans as well. Leisure Access provides a excellent quality three tier step which got non slip surface with rubberised cap where the step stool rest firmly holding the surface.
How to choose the right one for your RV / Caravan
- Choose the Type of the Step Stool
Decide on which type of step stool best suits your needs. In general, for a whole family with senior citizens and kids, foldable Single or double step stool, both is an ideal option.
- Choose the Material of the Step Stool
- Steel material is harder than the Aluminium steps. But it is not suited for wet weather conditions and hard water areas as it is more susceptible to rust and corrosion if the outer paint coating is ripped off. But cost wise it is more economical than its counterpart aluminium alloy.
- Steel step comes in single steel step or double step, it is suited for all floors and weather conditions. It is not having a strong grip at the bottom, then it may move a bit on concrete floor.
- Over the period of regular usage, it may have a dent in center if heavier person is using it. High quality steel is required for long lasting durability. This is less commonly used than Alloy and Plastic step stools.
- Plastic steps are lightweight, and they are resistant to rust and corrosion. It is easy to clean and maintain. It forms a sturdy base and gives maximum grips. Plastic steps is also an economical option. Stable and durability feature makes it popular among the RV users.
- Even the levelling ramps in the caravan are made up of plastic. Most of the stable plastic step will not come in foldable option.
- Plastic comes mostly in single step stool with sturdy material and light weight. Contains grated tread surface to give a grip while landing on it. Motorhome, Towable camper and almost all types of RVs can use Plastic step. It is mostly preferable material by many users across the globe.
- Aluminium Alloy
- Aluminium when combined with other alloy materials gives a harder material. It is more resilient to oxidation and gives a rust-free material and easy to clean. It is lighter than steel but easily portable.
- Aluminium Alloy step stool can be made foldable too. It is more expensive than the other materials, but it is worth it.
- Alloy step is made up of aluminium entirely and it is stable and secure to use. It comes with strong grip at the base. Alloy Step is lighter than Steel Step.
- Treading gives an extra grip to the step. It a small detail added on top of the stepping stool. Every material comes with a self-designed treading like metal mesh or a rubber plate or a moulded treading in case of a plastic material. Padded grip surface also a good option for anti-slipping.
- Get a high-quality step stool for longer durability with safety as the main priority. Look in for features like strong, light weight, easy to carry around, padded grip for non-slipping. Also choose a material which is suited in all weather conditions. Purchase from a trusted company like Leisure Access, which provides a range of step stool products.